Thursday, May 25, 2006

Car Purchased

Am I excited?

So, knowing full well that this car was already tops on Miriam's list (and her father's), it was just a matter of time before I was vetoed out of whatever my thought was/were.

Still, I had hoped for one more weekend of car shopping. Heck, if you went to the Lynnwood Ford Dealership you got a FREE GEORGE FORMAN GRILL - just for a test drive! But, I knew as my previous blog said: That the odds were stacked against me.

Down we went to the dealership - a small place. No pressure, really, but still a couple things I thought were "shady" (but I'll get to those in a moment).

We looked at the car and it was nice and Miriam took it for a test drive and that went well and around the block we went. On the way down Miriam's dad offered to buy tires for the car and with that in my back pocket, I really couldn't say no. Could I?

When we finally got into the dealership and started talking money - I clammed up. I still wanted to wait the weekend but with free tires and a nice car and a beaming wife and a contented father-in-law - DID I REALLY HAVE AN ARGUMENT? So I sat in silence.

Which was worse. "Why are you so quiet? What do you think? Are you okay with this?" Now, do they REALLY want to know - or are they throwing the questions to you out of courtesy? And was I really going to tell them with contract in front of me IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DEALERSHIP?

We signed the paperwork, wrote out a check for 2 thousand dollars and left. We still have to get the rest of the money ($8,171) - but that's a mere formality which will be resolved in 48 hours.

We got home and Miriam asked me again and I told her again what my issues were. But they carried no weight. What weight could they carry now? Really?

Here are the shady things I did not like:

1. They used "auction" numbers in regards to the trade-in of our mini-van. We know by Kelly Blue Book that the van can be sold for as much as $2,700 in "good" condition. The auction list's top amount was $1,200. They offered us $1,500. They'll probably sell it for $2,500.

2. The car came with a 3 month, 3,000 mile warranty which was, unknown to us, removed from the deal. So this "supposed" warranty doesn't exist now. What was it worth? Why didn't they tell us?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home