Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Almost done...

With those comedy classics!

I'm down to my last two films: "Love Laughs At Andy Hardy" and "Pot of Gold."

I never go into the "Andy Hardy" films but, alas, I never watched them. I was far more involved and enjoyed the "Henry Aldrich" films which I used to watch on Saturday mornings after my paper-route on Canadian Broadcasting (after the Looney Tunes hour).

They're, pretty much, the same. Goofy young kid gets in trouble. Lives at home with wealthy parents. Ends up learning a valuable life lesson, the end. "Love Laughs" was no exception. Funny thing, though, is that the plot all spun around Mickey Rooney (Andy Hardy) wanting to get married. And to think that he, Mickey Rooney, ended up GETTING married some 8 times or so.

Mickey Rooney (who I've seen in about 4 films now from his "hey day") was/is a very talented actor. He really could do it all and he brought an energy and vitality that pulled you into the story. If he was on the screen, for some reason you looked at him. Not the others. Star quality? I don't know. He was/is very short and he's not even that good looking. But there was something about him. An "x" factor, maybe, that brought attention to him. Lets not discount the fact that he could also sing, dance and tell a good joke.

"Pot of Gold" is a musical starring Jimmy Stewart. I'm 10 minutes in and it's not really doing anything for me. Supposedly, Jimmy Stewart hated the film. So far I can't see why - other than the fact that it's your "typical" Jimmy Stewart film. I questioned whether or not Jimmy could even act (seeing that he always seems to play the same role) but then I have to only be reminded of his work in Hitchcock films to remember that they guy could knock it out of the park and then, of course, that lovable favorite: "Wonderful Life" that always moves me to tears.

Almost done with this 50...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home