Friday, June 09, 2006

Two More Movies +

I finished "Brokeback" and the film went from 2 stars to 4 stars on a scale of 5 stars. The 2nd half redeemed itself and there were some pretty powerful scenes. I did, though, have to replay the last line 5 times to see if I heard it right and, even then, I had to put on subtitles.

I realized that I brought too much of the normal movie viewing to the film and that I had a hard time suspending disbelief when it came to the characters. There were certain things I did not "buy" in the first half of the film. Things that didn't seem very logical. Done for the sake of the scene, not for the sake of story.

The "featurette" about the writing of the screenplay helped take away some of my issues of lack of communication and I still came away with some questions (especially the death of one of the characters) - but maybe I'm a typical 40's male in America who wants things spelled out to him like a F**king McDonalds menu.

After I finished that, I watched "Road to Singapore" with my son. I had thought I had seen every "Road" movie but then saw this. It, frankly, wasn't funny. And here, after telling my son: "These are HILARIOUS!" We watch "Singapore" and it's like, a, movie. Just with songs. The humor was not the type that I'm used to in a "Road" Movie where they are very self aware about what is going on around them and that they're in a movie. My favorite line in one of the BEST road movies: "Road To Bali" is when Bob and Bing are on a boat and the music starts to swell. Bob looks around and then looks right into the camera: "Time to get popcorn, folks, Bing's going to sing." HILARIOUS. None of that self awareness in "Singapore." Hopefully we'll be redeemed for the next one.

Oh, yeah, a young Anotony Quinn was in "Singapore" and comedian Jerry Collonna had a big role.

I followed this with the first half of a film called: "Happy Go Lovely" a romantic comedy with lots of dance/music/ballet. David Niven once again and this time a very young Ceasar Romero before he became a Batman Villain and "A. J. Arno" in all those "Kurt Russell College" movies. It's cute.

Ta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home