Friday, July 14, 2006

Tons of Movies

How many movies have I seen - that is the question.

Too damn many. That's what I get for being sick.

It is becoming completely obvious to me what makes a movie good.

Is it the direction?

Is it the acting?

Is it the story?

Well, yes, it’s all three above but, most importantly, it’s the dang story. And that’s come through in all these films I’ve recently seen:

“Sisters of Death”
“The Witch’s Mountain”
“Attack of the Robots”
“Cars”
“Munich”

And still a few others…

“Sisters” was pretty stupid with a lame story (see story comment above) that’s supposed to have a great little twist at the end which resulted in a ho-hum response. Acting sub-par, and no nudity or anything like that to enjoy (the film was rated PG).

“Witch’s Mountain” was some obscure European film that made no sense at all. Did you know that Witches hang out on mountains and dance around? Isn’t that exciting? Oh and they listen to music REALLY REALLY loud.

“Cars” was wonderful. A bit too obvious in some parts and you knew, pretty much, how the movie was going to end after the first 5 minutes – but still a fun ride.

“Munich” is very good. I’m only an hour and a half into it.

Now, here’s the rub.

“Attack of the Robots” is an hour and 39 minutes long. This had to be one of the WORST movies ever made. Starring Antonio Sabato (father of Jr.) it’s a “Space Opera” made in 1978. You’ve got to figure that “Star Wars” had come out just a year prior to this piece of garbage and the Special Effects were STILL terrible. And I won’t even get into the writing/acting/costuming/dubbing, etc. There’s one character who is supposed to be from Texas and the guy dubbing him has nothing that sounds like a Texan accent. The robots in question wear gold lamme suits and blond wigs (I don’t know who created these robots but they obviously had a thing for Sandy Duncan). The movie, as bad as it was – fell into the “so bad it’s good” category (like “Robot Monster”). Anyway, I dreaded spending the next hour and a half with this tripe and it felt like 3 hours (same with “Witch’s Mountain” – 80 minutes and “Sisters of Death” – 90 minutes).

But then I watch a film like “Munich” which is 164 minutes long and I’m riveted to my couch. I can’t stop watching. I’m drawn in. Yes, the story, the pacing, the directing, everything. But REALLY it’s the story that is holding the film together. I’m not saying that Steven Spielberg doesn’t have anything to do with the story. But John Landis or John Hughes or John Huston could have directed the film and I’d still be pulled in because of that story.

Damn interesting. I must say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home