Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A True Story?

Okay, I knew going in that watching these 50 “Chillers” there would be films that I would find disturbing if not down-right creepy.

Most films that I watch I can gloss over certain things but this latest film was bit more on the “disturbing” side. The film, entitled “Naked Massacre” made me think it was going to be a bit of “romp” with a silly title like that. With, of course, hoped for sex and nudity along with campy acting and ketchup style blood.

This film, though, being a foreign production, upped that ante by setting it during the IRA issues of the early 70’s and bringing in a Vietnam Vet suffering from PTSD. So that, right there, makes it more interesting.

Then, there’s the house full of sexy young nurses who are all hot (one particularly hot for another) and you’re right there for the “sexy romp.” What follows, though, is this man’s systematic torture and brutality of these women. Which falls into the YUCK category which brings me to the deeper, more fundamental question of why do these films show SO MUCH VIOLENCE towards women.

So the film progresses and he goes more psycho and he kills this one and strangles that one and blood, etc. And, by an hour into the film, I pretty much had checked out and figured this was done and by the time he takes a knife to his arm to either kill himself or to remove a tattoo (“Born to Raise Hell”) I didn’t care.

But then…the film showed 8 photos of young women. Not the women in the film (like the photos in “Capote”) but 8 DIFFERENT women. Was this a TRUE STORY?

So I go onto IMDB and there is a note in there saying that it was based on the “Richard Speck” murders.

A couple of clicks away I found “crimestory.com” which went and described most of what happened but not in a succinct way (more lurid and creepy – I wanted cold hard facts).

Finally, on Wikipedia it described Richard Speck and yes, indeed, he killed 8 nursing students in Chicago. Not Ireland. And it was a particularly brutal killing.

So what’s more disturbing? The fact that this actually HAPPENED or the fact that someone made a film about it in 1979.

Interesting….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home