Monday, June 26, 2006

Movies Galore!

I must say this was a weekend of films. One of the great things about being older and having children - is forcing/encouraging them to watch films you think they'll enjoy. And then sitting back and either watching them squirm or really get into the films.

My daughter (and friends) have been dying to watch ever 80's movie they can find. So on Friday we had a double feature of "Adventures in Babysitting" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" - both were hilarious (as I remembered them) and both my kids well enjoyed.

Around that double feature I have finished my comedy collection and have moved on to my "chillers" collection. Which, so far, isn't very chilling. George Hamilton in "Medusa" - boring. I'm watching "Deadtime Stories" right now which, so far, isn't bad for a cheapie piece of crap.

I DID see two substantial films this weekend: "Match Point" and "The Constant Gardener" - both were very good. But I have two issues with them.

1. "Match Point" being a very different Woody Allen film - was very good - but the detectives at the end did not bring up the fact that she was carrying his baby. I thought that would be in the diary and would have put more pressure on him. (I'm being vague in case you see the film.)

2. "Gardener" was great and it turned into a right kick-ass action film half-way through - but I didn't buy the 3rd act as this attack by a tribe came too coincidentally.

For years I've heard of screenplays having a "Deus Ex Machinea" (which if I have the translation right means: Act of God). What that implies is that you can't suddenly, at the end of a film you've spent 115 minutes building up, only to have the Calvary show up at the end or some other act that closes everything up.

With "Gardener" the story was going great and then, near the end, this action piece happens. I'm not saying it wouldn't or it couldn't happen but how it happens here, at this very moment, when he's meeting with this fellow - just to get to the point quickly - seemed forced and "deus ex machina."

Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home