Tuesday, January 23, 2007

TV films

Hey, I'm back.

Howyadoin'?

I've got a lot on my plate recently so that's my lame excuse why I haven't blogged.

Over the weekend I watched a couple "Studio One" productions as part of my public domain collection.

These two short films (both about 55 minutes) dealt with theivery and murder and all those yummy good things that CONTINUE to enthrall audiences. Even today.

Both were pretty gritty, both in content and appearance. When I think that:

a. These were "live" stage plays and no recorded to be shown later and...

b. These were beamed into people's houses for their enjoyment...

It made me think.

Often times when I'm watching a decent, or half-way decent, PD film I often wonder what it was like sitting in that darkened theater in 1942. You're watching the first half of a double feature. Yeah, it's not that great, but it's got that one actor that you liked and the popcorn is good and when it's over you'll see the News Update and a Warner Brothers Cartoon and then you'll see wht big "A" picture with Katherine Hepburn and Walter Pidgeon and you'll melt away into a chair that, for those 4 hours, you'll call home.

The films were "okay." Quality wasn't great, as you might expect, but I was surprised at some of the violence (a man stabbed, a man hanged) and some of the sexual innuendos.

Enjoyable if short.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home